--- Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2) access ROM directly instead of relying on copy
> > in low RAM. This allows multiple cards. Required
> > MPP_TB_CONFIG fix in driver.
>
> Is this patch necessary for xfree86?  It may address
> some of the issues
> in the email threads I sent out yesterday (ie,
> problems with multiple
> radeon cards and xfree86).  if so would you consider
> making one?

Xfree code does not have the patch, but is Xfree
experiencing the bug? Xfree accesses the hardware very
differently than the framebuffer drivers.

I suspect that you would see this problem if you were
using something else for your primary video and a
Radeon for secondary. The first time you ran Xfree it
would work. But when you exited and restarted Xfree it
would hang when starting the secondary display.

Where does XFree reset the secondary card? The code
below needs to run right after the reset in the radeon
driver. I added it to my Rage128 driver too but I have
not observed the problem with them.

Framebuffer code is different and triggers the bug the
first time the secondary display is accessed.

/* Fix from ATI for problem with Radeon hardware not
leaving ROM enabled */
unsigned int temp;
temp = INREG(RADEON_MPP_TB_CONFIG);
temp &= 0x00ffffffu;