On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:05:23PM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>XFree86 runs quite well
>in many non-Linux environments today.

Not to mention that Linux was only the third or fourth platform that XFree86
ran on, with several SYSV versions and 386BSD pre-dating the Linux port :-).

As to the original subject, kernellevel support can be useful and
necessary for some features.  Current example are AGPGART and DRM, which
have migrated (or are being migrated) to the 3 BSDs after being implemented
first on Linux.

I don't think kernel based methods should be ignored -- especially when
a kernel module can conviently provide functionality not otherwise
available.  However, I think it would be a mistake (for portability
reasons) to only implement core features in ways that require kernel
modules.  Overall we have a reasonable balance right now, but that
shouldn't stop people following up other approaches if the can provide
real performance improvements.

David
--
David Dawes                                     X-Oz Technologies
www.XFree86.org/~dawes                          www.x-oz.com