On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Matthieu Herrb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: CVS Update: xc (branch: xf-4_3-branch)
>
>CVSROOT:       /home/x-cvs
>Module name:   xc
>Changes by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]       03/09/29 14:01:10
>
>Log message:
>  Use pam_strerror() to print an error message after pam_setcred() fails,
>  C style unification (Branden Robinson).
>
>Modified files:
>      xc/programs/xdm/:        Tag: xf-4_3-branch
>        session.c
>
>  Revision      Changes    Path
>  3.33.4.2      +86 -117   xc/programs/xdm/session.c

I'd like to provide some (hopefully) constructive feedback, and
make a polite request for future patches going into the CVS
stable branches which may help others with maintenance of stable
XFree86 releases.

It's IMHO always preferred when submitting/committing bug fixes
to a stable codebase to always separate the bug fix itself from
any other changes including whitespace and/or coding style
changes.  That allows easier code review, and makes the changes
more obvious without having to review a huge patch.  It also
makes it difficult to merge patches which intersect with each
other when whitespace changes occur like this unnecessarily.

The coding style and whitespace changes make sense to me to be in
the CVS HEAD but left out of the stable branch, or at least
committed in separate steps to make changes more apparent for
review and backporting, etc.

Just some feedback and a polite request for the future.

TIA