I've just committed fixes to make the initial viewport behaviour match
the documented behaviour.  This affects the initial viewport position
when the initial physical screen resolution is different from the virtual
resolution.  The documented behaviour (from XF86Config(5)) is:

       ViewPort  x0 y0
              This  optional  entry sets the upper left corner of
              the initial display.  This is  only  relevant  when
              the virtual screen resolution is different from the
              resolution of the  initial  video  mode.   If  this
              entry  is  not given, then the initial display will
              be centered in the virtual display area.

This parameter was being ignored, and the initial display viewport
always set to (0,0).

If the (0,0) default is preferable to a centred viewport, I can switch
that back and update the man page accordingly.  Given that it has been
working like that for a while, it might be.

David
--
David Dawes
developer/release engineer                      The XFree86 Project