Hello,

i stumbled across the above mentioned define and
related code in the XFree86 sources (lnx_video.c).

comparing X4.1.0 and X4.3.0 i found that the
condtitnal coding of "if (base % size)" has
vanished at some point in time and the handling
is now hardcoded at this code location.

to my best knowledge that coding is related to
maybe the 3Dfx PCI memory regions layout with
a single mixed framebuffer and register mapping.

is any developer out there that is willing to
describe the main points of that design in a
few words. i am asking for that because i have
had a case where the split code went into action
despite any need and even the PCI range was a
power of two. so in theory it should not happen.

before popping up with any general solution
i just wanted to make sure that i got the right
idea of that code. to my understanding current
mtrr implementations might be more flexible
than it is assumed in the existing code.

-Alex.