Alex Deucher wrote:
According to marketing literature from ati, radeon hardware seems to
support alpha and transparent BLTs.  from the literature under 2D
graphics:

Support for Windows XP GDI extensions:
Alpha BLT
Transparent BLT
Gradient Fill

The databooks and DDKs also have several sections on doing transparent
BLTs.  is there any reason that this can't be used to accelerate alpha
blending in the xserver?  it seems like this has come up before and
there was a reason it wouldn't work, but from the looks of it I can't
see why it wouldn't.  I'd try to implement it myself, but I'm not
familiar enough if XAA to understand how it should be done.  In the
long run using the 3D engine is probably the way to go, but if it could
be hacked up quickly using the 2D engine it might give a nice boost in
the short term.

I'm almost too embarrased to say that (twice a day) - but as regards alpha blended bitblits have a look at the sis (or mga) driver on how to make use of this (keyword RENDER acceleration).

I can't think of a useful application for gradient fills (yes, sis supports that, too).

Transparent bitblits are supported by XAA's normal bitblit functions, hence this could be of some use.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria