On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 10:31:42PM -0500, Georgina Economou wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:33:49 -0600, John Himpel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Questions and comments are encouraged.
>
> Do you have any documentation on how to read this docbook stuff?

While not directed at me, I do have some experience in converting a
large scale documentation project to docbook.  I'm glad this is
being done -- DocBook is, IMHO, the best of the currently available
markup formats for large amounts of information.  It can render the
input documents into a variety of formats...

> Are special utiliites required?

For viewing and editting the docbook source files, all you need are
a text editor, like vi (or emacs).  There are certainly tools available
that make doing the markup more automatic, but it certainly can be done
in something as simple as a text editor.

> How do they become HTML for Web browsing
> or is that a separate issue?

Typically, this is done with either something like XSLT (I think that's
the right one -- I've not used this one), or something like a pipeline
with OpenJade, and a bunch of other tools.  When I did it last,
it was involved to get the entire "documentation tool-chain" up and
running, but once that was done, rendering the same document source
into HTML, PDF and PostScript was just a matter of typing "make".

In many ways, if you're good at doing HTML, you're going to have no
problems with doing DocBook markup.  Some of the shortcuts that people
often take in HTML (and most browsers are happy enough to display)
don't work in SGML.

-Kurt