You don't have to fudge drivers to use the 'vesa' driver. That's a driver
in it's own right. There's a submodule that's used called 'vbe' - VESA
BIOS Extensions, that a driver can call into the Video BIOS. The 'vesa'
driver uses the 'vbe' module to do it's work. But..........

Like I said,

The Intel driver already does this.

There's nothing stopping other drivers doing this too. If your stepping
up to add an option to the drivers to do this - feel free and submit
the patches.

Alan.