On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 09:09, Fred Heitkamp wrote:
> Just to aggravate myself I am trying to use XFree86 with linux kernel
> 2.6.0-test9.  I have a Radeon 8500 and a ASUS A7M266-D with two 1600MP
> processors.  I have compiled and installed the radeon kernel modules from
> the X cvs sources into the kernel modules directory.

Why? The one that comes with the kernel is at least as current.

> When I load the radeon module into the kernel and start X glxinfo shows I
> have no DRI (first problem) even though dri is enabled.

Does

LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo

give a hint?

> Second problem:
> X/Gnome 2.4 only runs for a couple minutes before the display freezes
> hard.  The only way to clear the display is to reboot (CTL-ALT-BKSPC does
> not work; kill -9 X does not clear the display).

kill -9 rids the X server of any chance to restore the display; not that
it likely has much chance in this case (sounds like a chip lockup).

Are you using any AGP or otherwise DRI related options?

> My question is what is the status of XFree86 and linux 2.6.x kernels?

Has been working fine here for a while. :)

> Does anyone have DRI and Radeon working with 2.6.x on any x86 hardware?

I'm running on PPC though.

--
Earthling Michel DÃnzer      |     Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Software libre enthusiast    |   http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer