David Dawes wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:57:39AM -0600, Warren Turkal wrote:
>>This changes the configuration, only for Debian, such that the manpages
>>end up in the right places with the right names. I would be wonderful if
>>this could be committed so this happens automatically for people compiling
>>on Debian.
>
> How are you handling removing existing copies of the manpages with the old
> names?  Which one will 'man' pick up if both exist?

Removing the XFree86 packages installed will remove the existing if you had
packages installed.

This is standard location for XF86 manpages on Debian. Debian policy calls
for following FHS which calls for all X11 manpages to be located in the
following:

/usr/X11R6/man/man<sec>/blah.<sec>x

Man goes through the MANDIR env var if looking for the first match, I
suppose.

BTW, right now, the Debian packages for 4.3.0 have a nasty patch that
reworks manpage handling so that it fits the right scheme. This patch was
not neccessary as even 4.3.0 had this functionality; it just wasn't
documented (that's what the documentation patch for xc/config/cf/README
was). This patch makes the manpages install in the right place by default.

wt
--
Warren Turkal
President, GOLUM, Inc.