Hi,

I'd like to focus attention of application developpers on one of the X
server feature that will become more used in the near future: the
XSecurity extension which create the possibility of using 'xauth
generate' to dynamically create xauth cookies.

By default clients connecting with these cookies will be 'untrusted'
by the X server, meaning that it will apply a number of restrictions
which are described in xc/doc/hardcopy/Xext/security.PS.gz in the
source code - I've also made a PDF available as
<http://www.xfree86.org/~herrb/security.pdf>.

Among those restrictions, the one of interest is the property
security which is controlled by /etc/X11/XServer/SecurityPolicy.

The default policy included in the sample implementation and in
XFree86 is quite restrictive and causes a lot of X applications to get
Bad Access errors when run as 'unsecure'.

But many applications (it looks to me that it's especially true for GTK
applications like xmms or gmplayer, but it's in no way GTK specific)
don't have a decent X protocol error handler and they will abort
ungracefully in this case.

So this is a Heads Up message for application developpers, to add a
correct X protocol errors handler to their applications and to make
this handler aware of the BadAccess errors that untrusted clients may
get.

Thanks for listening.

                                        Matthieu