--- Jan Dittmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently aquired a second video card, so that I now have a triple
> display. I'm using a Nvidia card (with the binary drivers) in
> TwinView
> Mode to drive the first two displays and a Ati card for the third
> display. What really annoys me is, that as as soon as you enable
> TwinView together with a second card, the two displays are just seen
> as
> one screen and so every window manager only 'sees' two screens. So
> maximized windows etc. always strech over (at least) two displays.
> As I don't think Nvidia will be fixing this anytime soon and I think
> this could probably useful elsewhere (i.e. dividing your display into
>
> two screens so that window always are maximized to half the window,
> ...), I'm wanting to implement a kind of virtual xinerama support.
> I've thought about different ways of implementing this. The easiest
> solution I can see so far is to just extend the screen definitions in
> my
> ServerLayout like the following example:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>          Screen          0 "NvScreen" Geometry 1280 1024 0 0
>       Screen          1 "NvScreen" Geometry 1280 1024 1280 0 RightOf "0"
>          Screen          2 "AtiScreen0" RightOf "1"
>
> Of course RightOf, LeftOf, etc. would have to be made to work with
> screen-nums and screen-ids. Also checks for non overlapping of areas
> would have to be done. And only dividing of hole screens will be
> supported, no funny part of this and part of that screen.
> So, what do you think of the general idea? Is this just totally bogus
> or
> may this be useful? Especially, are their other ways (other than
> hacking
> every wm out there) to do this better/cleaner/faster?
>
> Thanks for any comments, suggestions and hints,

Drivers that implement their own xinerama extension are not compatible
with the "official" xinerama extension (It's not that they are
incompatiable, rather you can only have one xinerama extension
registered at a time).  right now you can only have one or the other.
Torrey Lyons mentioned extending the xinerama extension at one point to
better accomodate things like merged framebuffer modes and other
windowing systems that provide their own multi-mon API such as Apple.
I don't know that anyone has really done anything on this at the moment
though.  Take a look at the sis driver or the radeon driver in DRI cvs
or the pseudo-xinerama stuff in the quartz code for an idea of how this
should work for driver based xinerama extensions. Ideally the official
extension would be extended to handle both cases.  If you come up with
a patch, please post!

Alex