Hi,

> > Christian Zietz writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as developer of 855patch I get a lot of feedback from people using
> > XFree86 on computers with i855GM graphics.
> > It seems like new notebooks by Dell feature a new video BIOS from Intel
> > (iirc Build 3066) which finally implements the int 0x10 0x5f11 function
> > to set the amount of video RAM and thus making 855patch obsolete.
> >
> > But the i810-driver refuses to work on systems with that BIOS version. I
> > had several independent reports of users who just get a completely green
> > screen when starting XFree86. I had a look on a log file and found
> > nothing unusual. The XFree86 VESA driver however works but just in low
> > resolutions/color depths as there is no way to allocate more video RAM
> > there.
> >
> > As I've been absent of this list: Is this already a known issue?
> >

> I haven't heared anyting about this issue yet.
> The first question that comes to my mind is:
> What happens if a low resolution mode that works with VESA
> is set on the i8xx driver?
>
> Egbert.

I've got this problem with the new Dell 510m model : with the normal i810
driver, we've got only a total green screen.

The problem comes from the call to INT 10h, 0x5f64 in the
GetDisplayInfo() function. It never returns.

As this function is only informative, I commented out its call in
I830DetectDisplayDevice() (XFree86 4.3.0.1) :

static Bool
I830DetectDisplayDevice(ScrnInfoPtr pScrn)
{
   I830Ptr pI830 = I830PTR(pScrn);
   int pipe, n;
   DisplayType i;

#if 0
   for (i = 0; i < NumKnownDisplayTypes; i++) {
      if (GetDisplayInfo(pScrn, 1 << i, &pI830->displayAttached[i],
                         &pI830->displayPresent[i],
                         &pI830->displaySize[i].x2,
                         &pI830->displaySize[i].y2)) {
         xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_INFO,
                    "Display Info: %s: attached: %s, present: %s, size: "
                    "(%d,%d)\n", displayDevices[i],
                    BOOLTOSTRING(pI830->displayAttached[i]),
                    BOOLTOSTRING(pI830->displayPresent[i]),
                    pI830->displaySize[i].x2, pI830->displaySize[i].y2);
      }
   }
#endif

   pI830->configuredDevices = GetDisplayDevices(pScrn);
   if (pI830->configuredDevices == -1) {
      xf86DrvMsg(pScrn->scrnIndex, X_INFO,
                 "Failed to detect active display devices\n");
      return FALSE;
   }

Now all is working fine (except the fact that the 1500x1040 resolution
is still not reconized by the bios).

I hope this help.

Regards

PS : not more need to use 855Patch with this bios.