On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Sottek, Matthew J wrote:

> > Also, I would like to make sure that the new design has a much
> > improved syncing mechanism. Syncing should be, at a minimum,
> > on a per-surface basis. Perhaps even a bounded region of a
> > surface is justified. As GUI's become more "media rich" the
> > amount of data coming from the CPU to the graphics engine is
> > increasing. This means more puts and consequently lots of syncing
> > for many hardware types. The current global sync design waits
> > too long and forces idle time unnecessarily. Other driver models
> > abandoned the single sync a long time back.

   Ummm... which other models are you refering to?  I'm told that
Windows does it globally.  Having per-surface syncing may mean
you end up syncing more often.  Eg.  Render with HW to one surface
then to another, then if you render to SW to both of those surfaces,
two syncs happen.  Doing it globally would have resulted in only
one sync call.

   Unless you can truely checkpoint every rendering operation,
anything other than global syncing is going to result in more
sync calls.  The more I think about going away from global syncing,
the more this sounds like a bad idea.

                        Mark.