On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Jonathon Bates wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I am in the process of creating an X mod and would like some pointers on
> where to start (i wont have a problem writing the code,
> i am just not sure where to start).
> I am wanting to create the following:

> Y1            Y2
>
> Where Y, Y1 & Y2 are monitors.
>
> I always want the cursor to be located on Y, but the screens to the right &
> left of me are visible on other monitors.
> Firstly is this possible? Secondly is this an X mod or a window manager's
> mod?
>
> Actually having thought about it further, I assume it would be a process of
> setting up X with multiple monitors and then
> moding the window manager??

  If you want these to be 3 separate root windows with the
cursor confined to one of them, XFree86 can probably already
do that.  A "ServerLayout" like the following:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "DualHead"
        Screen      0  "ScreenY" 0 0
        Screen      1  "ScreenY1" 0 0
        Screen      2  "ScreenY2" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

  probably does that already since there are no "LeftOf" etc...
to tell the server how to route the cursor when it goes offscreen,
so it ends up getting stuck on screen 0.

                        Mark.