I need to be able to tell which process a given window
was created by. (Window ID=>Process ID)

Apparently, X servers don't know which process a
client is, they just get a socket (b/c of X's network
transparency).

It has been suggested that I could run a program like
netstat on the client machine(which in my case is the
same machine running the server) to get a list of
which sockets belong to which processes.

Then, I need to get the ID of the foreign socket
(socket ID on client end) from which a window was
created.

What would work well is if the socket ID and the
client/window ID could be written to STDOUT or STDIN
when the window is created. Then I can have a script
read the server's STDOUT or STDIN and compare it to
the list of socket IDs and process IDs from netstat on
the client machine (which for my purposes is on the
same machine as the server).

MY PROBLEM: I don't know how to get XFree86 to write
the socket ID and client ID when a window is created!

Today, I was looking at the XFree86(4.3.0) source code
for the first time and trying some different hacks to
get the info I wanted to print.

In xc/programs/Xserver/dix/dispatch.c, I found
ProcCreateWindow and the ClientPtr structure. I was
able to get X to print client->index and
client->OsPrivate->fd when a new window was created.

Which is what I want, except that the client index
that is printed is always 2 and the socket ID is
always 13. 13 is the ID of the socket that X listens
on and I think 2 is the server client?

What am I doing wrong?

How can I print the Window ID and foreign/from socket
ID of a client when a window is created?

:) thanx

PS: I'm thinking of making a sourceforge project to
publish the XFree86 modification and some associated
scripts so that others will be able to see which
process created which window. How does the project
name XTracer sound?