David Dawes wrote:

Isn't the 'accelerated 2x horizontal zoom' thing something that is
required (because of hardware limitation) above certain clock rates?
I don't have the relevant specs handy to check.

This seems to be irrelevant in practice. With my G400 at [EMAIL PROTECTED], 32 bpp (max my monitor can do) I could provoke some slight image distortion (occasional single black lines in the overlay) by running mplayer, glxgears and 'ls -lR /' in an xterm in parallel -- maybe there are better test cases. This seems to demonstrate some bandwidth limitation, but it doesn't occur in normal cases. At [EMAIL PROTECTED], 32 bpp what I normally use I can't see anything at all.

So, because I don't have any specs (and if the numbers currently in the code are derived from specs they are way too conservative) and prefer a good image under normal circumstances to a bad one all the time, I followed mga_vid's example and ripped the whole thing out.

-Michael