After compiling XFree86 4.4.0 on my computer, I found ocassional hangs on the
X server. The only way to recover was to log in from another computer and
then kill X. A similar experience was reported at XFree86 Bugzilla as bug
#1351, so I contributed with my comments. The full reports can be located
there.

Apparently, the hang can be traced to the NVidia driver nv_drv.o, in my
opinion to the NVSync function at nv_xaa.c, but I cannot determine the
conditions that trigger this bug.

I think a workaround can be to turn off acceleration (Option "NoAccel"), which
is kind of dissapointing if I am using an NVidia card.

Regards,

Daniel Murguia.