Hi all, I am working on a system level debugger ( pICE ) and I am giving universal
output  support to it. I use Linear FrameBuffer by direct writes and it works pretty
well.

The problem is, that by now, calculations for drawing are based on fixed X,Y,BPP(color
depth) resolution, which is a bit annoying...

So I´d like to detect those X,Y and BPP each time the system debugger is fired up
(HOTKEY pressed or breakpoint or other ints triggered). I read something about usong
CRT regs but I don´t really know how. Also, I have also seen some MMIO stuff, but no
idea...

One important thing is that -being a system level debugger- it can´t be a "call
driver" or "call kernel" approach, I must do direct hardware ( IO ports or memory )
only, since when the debugger is active, the whole system is frozen and I cant rely on
other stuff than my own code or direct hardware.

Well, hoping its not too off topic :S... Im sorry but I couldnt manage to find any
help elsewhere... :(

Thanks in advance,

   sheroc.

http://webmail.wanadoo.es. Tu correo gratuito, rápido y en español