Christian Zietz wrote:
> Sounds impressive. But I think it won't work on a Dell Inspiron 500m
> (V-BIOS 2945). My 500m doesn't have a 1400x1050 display to test but when
> running "855resolution -l" I get a list similar to the one L. Jensen posted.
>
> I did a little debugging and it seems like the list of modes
> 855resolution looks for exists in my video BIOS version, too. At least
> the mode numbers and the bits/pixel values are correct.
Yes, perhaps the bios structures are not so differents. As you say, the
mode structures have the same mode, bits/pixels fields and also length
(5 bytes). So, as only 3 bytes left, I don't see how they couldn't be
a pointer of some type to the resolution structure.

> But the pointers in that list that are supposed to point to the resolution
> data are pointing to nonsensical values instead. I couldn't figure out how
> to fix this.
In fact I don't think they are pointing to nonsensical values : if you look
at the L. Jensen's mail, we can see that resolutions stay coherentes. For
example the modes 30, 41 and 51, which are all 640x400, are _always_ displayed
with the (bogus) resolution of 3856x1536. The pointers for these modes are
the same.

So, to me, the pointers are correct but the resolution bytes (nibbles in fact)
are not the same than on my 510m.

To find the resolution byte, I dumped the differents structure for all the
possible resolution and look at 1/ where the resolution x and y values, in
hexa, could be 2/ how 2 different resolutions structure difer

> Another question: May I put a link to the 855resolution page on my
> 8x5patch/855wrap web page?
Yes. No problem (as I even borrowed your naming scheme ;)

Regards