On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:57:04AM -0600, Marc Aurele La France wrote:
> > DMX introduced a fair amount of source code duplication.  In particular, its
> > GLX proxy seems to be based on older snapshots of GLX & friends.

> > Now, I've already addressed some of the simplest aspects of this.  But, at this
> > point, I would like some opinions as to whether I've grokked this correctly, or
> > whether it is worthwhile to proceed with preventing further skews and dealing
> > with those that are already there.

> > Proceeding with this would entail some co-ordination between the various CVS
> > repositories involved.  Hence my query.

> > Any comments?

> The GLXproxy code was written by SGI and donated to the DMX project.  I
> would suggest coordinating with Guy Zadickario <guy-at-sgi-dot-com> as
> he was the main author/contact of this code.  Also, if there are changes
> that you make, please submit patches to the dmx-devel list so that they
> can be incorporated into the other source repositories and thus minimize
> version skew.  Thanks!

I think the first question that needs an answer is whether or not it is
important that the extension being emulated through DMX be kept in sync with
that natively provided by the same server.  If not, then DMX's emulation can be
allowed to lag behind, perhaps indefinitely.  Otherwise, something more
pro-active needs to be done to keep the emulation in sync.  FWIW, GLX seems to
be the only non-DMX extension in this boat.

... and, so, keeping CVS repositories in sync is not, at this time, sufficient.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |