Németh Márton wrote:

I've tested the two settings using xtest 4.0.10 at color depth 16. Here are my results:

pXAA->ScreenToScreenCopyFlags = ROP_NEEDS_SOURCE;
    => the XCopyArea tests passed

pXAA->ScreenToScreenCopyFlags = NO_TRANSPARENCY;
    => the XCopyArea tests fails the following tests:
        - GXclear (6)
        - GXinvert (16)
        - GXset (21)

Is there any need to set the ROP_NEEDS_SOURCE on S3 Trio64V+ and not on the other S3 chips or the ROP_NEEDS_SOURCE will work on all S3 cards?

I don't know about ALL, but the Trio 32/64 family share the same graphics engine. There is certainly no danger in leaving that flag set for everyone. I believe the fallback is to use a solid fill, and that's probably the right answer in every case for those ROPs.

The ViRGE and the Savage also have this problem, but as you note, they are in different drivers.

(What does ROP mean, anyway?)

"Raster operation." That's the Windows term for a function that describes how to merge to pixel streams. (Actually, for all I know, the term might pre-date Windows. X uses the more mnemonic word "function".)

--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.