My hardware is a rugged Tablet Pc which I use for navigation,
communication control and other functions at sea and as a mobile computer
when in port. I would like to be able to run an **ix OS on this hardware.
This Tablet is manufactured by Itronix (called a GoBook but not to be
confused with the pda of the same name) It uses a 933Mhz Pentium. While
installation can be accomplished with a conventional keyboard subsequent
text input would normally be via virtual keyboard (or voice commands).
This would mean login via an X interface. Ideally for both single and
multi-user purposes.I recognize that providing an X interface for single
user might present some challenges.

Has anyone successfully installed Xfree on this on any other Tablet system
and been able to boot and login without a USB keyboard? My preferred OS is
freebsd or linux.

The serial Pen Tablet is Wacom on Intel(R) 82801CAM LPC Interface
controller using (under win XP an I/O Range 03F8-03FF on IRQ 04.
The rotate driver uses the same controller on an I/O range 0180-0183
The Human Interface Devbice is Wacom
The mouse HID also runs on Wacom

Information and guidance would be welcome. I have some development
experience and would be willing to experiment if I could find some help
and encouragement from a hand experienced at writing/testing drivers.
I have raised the question in freebsd-mobile and on some unix forums but
so far have not found anyone with experience.

Currently mt Tablet has Win XP installed on a 40G drive and I have
acquired a new 80G drive with the intention of providing a 30G partition
for freebsd or linux. There is a computer network on board Taurus.
Details of the Tablet hardware can be seen on www.itronix.com. In the long
term I would like to provide charting and navigation functions on the
tablet interfacing with on board gps/autopilot/instrumentation. These
future plans depend upon being able to get over the interface hurdles.

David Southwell