On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:09:16AM -0700, Mike Urban wrote:
>I do not know the proper 'channel' for this sort of feedback, but we
>have for some time been using the following enhancement for 'xon' that
>others might find useful.  We do not run remsh/rcmd/rsh servers on our
>systems.  So we add a new flag so we can say
> xon target -remote ssh command
>to go through SSH instead.  Note that because of the way xon is used,
>no SSH session is left behind, and the DISPLAY is the X server rather
>than being tunneled through SSH.  Whether this is a bug or a feature is
>a matter of taste.

XFree86 already has this patch integrated from when you originally
submitted about two years ago :-)

If there are good uses for this non-tunneled operation, I'd suggest
modifying the remote shell selection logic to use ssh as the first choice,
falling back to rsh and the others only when it isn't available.

David