On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 02:16:50PM +0100, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Karthik Ramamoorthy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>       xrandr is not working in my Dual Mnitor setup. In my
>> /etc/X11XF86Config file. it i disable Xinerama then xrandr is working
>> properly. But my Dual Configuration is not working properly. And if i
>> enable Xinerama then xrandr is not working giving error as follow
>>
>> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0"
>>
>>    Can anybody tell me why this is happening.
>
>It isn't very clear how the two extensions should work together
>and the combination isn't implemented (there may be exceptions
>for some cards - I don't know).

It should be clear how they would work together, but the blurring between
physical resolutions and root window sizes coupled with an incomplete
implementation results in the current situation.

>I suppose there are two underlying problems for RANDR:
>1 X says that the clients can assume that the
>screen resolution and depth will not change; and
>2 XINERAMA aims to hide the fact that there are multiple heads
>from the clients.

I'd like to see it possible to change all of the currently static
connection block information at run-time.  The dynamic configuration
infrastructure that I'm working on, combined with a minor revision bump
of the X11 protocol will address all of these issues and more.

If the original poster needs randr+xinerama now, he'll likely have
some work to do.

David