XCopyArea can copy arbitrary rectangles of the desktop if the
source is the root window and the GC has IncludeInferiors for the
sub-window mode.

   See the man page on XSetSubwindowMode.  There are a few
Xlib functions for getting the root window ID (XRootWindow,
XDefaultRootWindow, XRootWindowOfScreen).

                        Mark.