On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 09:18:11PM -0700, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> I'm not sure, I don't see that restriction in the illumos zfs_ctldir.c.
> This is speculation, but it may be that on linux the inode number of stuff
> in .zfs/snapshot has the high bits set (above bit 32), and that doesn't
> work on 32-bit?

Thanks Matthew,

Yes, the restriction is linux-specific but I got no answer on the
@zfsonlinux list.

My impression is that whoever wrote that code wanted to be cautious
and also avoid the burden of analysis and maintenance for the 32-bit case.

Nevertheless as I wrote I did not find any apparent issues in the code
nor in practice, having built with ctldir enabled (but not heavily tested).

I can think that no developer really cares about the 32-linux platform,
assuming that ZFS is "only" interesting for large storage installations
where one of course picks 64-bit servers.

This unfortunately hurts a non-neglectable usage niche, where we handle
moderate amounts of data on 32-bit kernels but still need the robustness
and the administration advantages of zfs. This may become a reason for
switching to a different kernel, but it would be nice to know whether
the linux limitation is there for real.

(at least, nice that someone was listening here! :)

Best regards,
Rune