In addition to the projects Richard mentioned, there's libzpool, which is a
userland implementation (recompilation, really) of some of the kernel
code.  It's used for testing (zdb, ztest).  It has some gaps (e.g.
send/recv), and it doesn't connect with the VFS or block device interfaces
to make filesystems/zvols available in the system, but depending on your
experiment it might be useful.

--matt