Hi, thanks for posting.  At least I'm not alone.

I'm running Gentoo, and the boot RC scripts do a zpool import, and the matching
shutdown script does a zpool export, so you'd think that zfs.cache file would
always be OK.  But no.

So the next thing that I've got planned is to:

zpool set cachefile=none <zpool>
mv /etc/zfs/zfs.cache /etc/zfs/zfs.cache.bad
scp /etc/zfs/zfs.cache (from another machine working fine)
zpool set cachefile=/etc/zfs/zpool.cache <zpool>
zpool export

Hopefully the last step will flush the cache to the zfs.cache file before
system reboot, and it'll clear this niggling issue up.
I'll post back when I have an outage window to try this.