On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:21 PM Josh Paetzel <j...@tcbug.org> wrote:

> There was a proposal on this mailing list a week or so ago that sparked
> some good discussion regarding setting feature flags at pool creation.  We
> discussed this proposal on the last OpenZFS call and while we all agreed it
> was a good idea, we felt the UI could use a little workshopping.

Thanks for leading this discussion, Josh!

> This proposal is simply a starting point for a discussion.
>
> The proposal is to add an optional flag at zpool create time.  -o features=
>
> which can be set to one of the following 4 settings:
>
> all:  The default and the current behavior of zpool create.  This setting
> enables all features supported by the in use OpenZFS version.
>
> compat: Enable async_destroy, empty_bpobj, filesystem_limits,
> lz4_compress, spacemap_histogram, extensible_dataset, bookmarks,
> enabled_txg, and hole_birth. This set of features is supported by
> FreeBSD/FreeNAS 9.3 (July of 2014), ZoL 0.6.4 ( 0.6.5.6 was used in Ubuntu
> 16.04 LTS), and Illumos in the early to mid 2014 era.

I think the term "portable" is more specific than "compat[ible]", so "-o
features=portable" is probably a better name.  Thanks to whoever suggested
that at the meeting Tuesday.

I think that the definition of "-o features=portable" needs to change over
time, as features become more widely available.  Do you have thoughts on
how specifically we should do that?