Nico Klasens wrote:
> Mihxil' wrote:
>
> >2006/6/29, Nico Klasens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >>I haven't used the jdbc.xml for a long time in favour of the external
> >>datasource  so I missed the new comment.
> >>I gave it a try and it semms to work.
> >>
> >>New idea. We create two mysql files in the database dir. One for utf8
> >>and one for latin1. The utf8 version could be the default to match with
> >>the mmbaseroot.xml encoding. The latin1 version could be used to switch
> >>to the old behavior
> >

> >I think the mmbaseroot.xml encoding can be ignored with new versions
> >of mysql, which actually do support Unicode. So I think the default
> >mysql.xml must be cleaned up from all hackery on this terrain
> >('database-force-encode-text' or so). It could also contain your
> >proposal. It sounds good, but I don't know what were the original
> >reasons not to do it like that in the first place.
> >

> >Michiel
> >
> Most old databases are in latin1 which will not work anymore when we
> switch the default to utf8. Switching from blob to text did not change
> our default.
> I have the new files ready for commit.
>
> Nico

The current mysql.xml does not contain the 'hackery' any more. I tried it
out with mysql 5.0 (created the database with encoding 'utf-8'). Latin-1
characters and also e.g. the euro-symbol seem to work. A bit more excotic
characters though, like japanese, hebrew or IPA are stored like questions marks
though (present in the 'encodings' example)

How come? Before I'm going to investigate this, I'm wanting to know if this
is normal.

Michiel

--
Michiel Meeuwissen                  mihxil'
Peperbus 107 MediaPark H'sum          []()