Hello

Yesterday, I spent some time in selecting a javascript library which
is meant to aid me in making more fancy websites.. I'm targeting a
generic 'search and relate' tool to begin with (rudiments can be found
in 'speeltuin').

I had some experience with prototype/scriptaculous, and sarissa, but
those were decided for me. Sarissa actually already made it to the
mmbase distro, because it is used in the richtext application's 'kupu
editor', but also the 'datatype validation' script of
/mmbase/validation uses a bit of sarissa to do ajax and xpath.

Anyhow, I expect that for real nifty user interfaces we'll need to
introduce a more profound dependency. I'd propose to ship one of them
in the /mmbase directory, for general useage, especially for other
pages inside /mmbase. My question now is whether people have some
(educated) preference.

I now considered the following:

-sarissa. Provides ajax, xpath, xstlt.. No effects. Now under
/mmbase/validation/sarissa, but can easily be dropped.

-prototype/scriptaculous: Provides ajax, css-selectors, effects.

-jquery/jquery ui: Provides ajax, css/xpath-selectors, effects, plugins

-extjs: Provides a complete windowing environment

-echo2: I think this makes you implement your stuff in java
-gwt: similar to echo2, I suppose.

I'm leaning towards jquery now, and ship it as /mmbase/jquery, and
make free use of it, in mmbase generic (and specific) editors, admin
pages,  examples and so on. It seems a good mix of clean-code, good
documentation, ease of use, popularity and a good balance between e.g
sarissa which is a bit too low level, and things like echo2, which are
too high level for my taste (and therefore perhaps a bit too
intrusive).

I am no expert in the field. I even may have mispresented one of the
above. There are couple of other alternatives as well, which I did not
even look at. Undoubtly people have their opinions about the matter,
and I'd love to hear about it.

Michiel

--
mihxil'  http://meeuw.org