Hello,

We are planning to migrate the MMBase CVS repository to Subversion. We
tested how that would go, and it went well. A subversion repository to
test with can be found at:

https://scm.mmbase.org/

IOW you can do a full check out like so:

svn co https://scm.mmbase.org/mmbase/trunk

Note that this is based on the contents of CVS of about a month ago.
When everybody is content, we will redo it with a fresh copy. For the
moment this is just to explore how it would work. As yet, the https
certificate is not signed, so please accept the exception.

You should be able to check-in into this subversion repository using
your original CVS pserver account.

The structure in this repository, after a cvs2svn, looks like this:

/mmbase
/mmbase/trunk
/mmbase/branches/
/mmbase/tags/
/mmbase/branches/MMBase-1_8
..
but also
/mmbase/branches/Didactor-2_0
etc.

/mmbase/trunk/speeltuin

In other words all branches and tags ended up in /mmbase/branches, and
/mmbase/tags.  I suggest we'll move everyhting that had it's own
branches and tags to the root of the repository, with it's own
branches and tags directories.
e.g.
/mmbase
/mmbase/trunk
/didactor/
/didactor/trunk
/didactor/branches
..
/cmscontainer/trunk
/cmscontainer/branches
/cmscontainer/tags
..
/natmm/trunk
/natmm/branches
/natmm/tags.
..
This can be done using simple svn-moves as soon as the migration is in
place. (in the mean time it can be tested in this temporary
repository).

As an example I already moved 'speeltuin' to a more logical location,
namely directly below root to https://scm.mmbase.org/speeltuin

We could also opt to keep the 'contibutions' dir on the highest level:
/contributions/didactor/trunk
/contributions/CMSContainer/trunk
etc.

and 'applications' stilll below mmbase:

/mmbase/trunk/applications/email
/mmbase/branches/MMBase-1_8/applications/email
etc.

In other words, we can see 'applications' as stuff that is branched
and tags together with mmbase itself, which is more or less the actual
situation as it was in practice.

We can discuss the eventual structure a bit further.

For the migration itself we will plan a date in few weeks. Versioning
will be down fow a few hours, and it's convenient if all pending
changes are checked in before that, because during and after the
conversion CVS will be offline, and afterwards we'll have to use
subversion.

greetings,

Michiel

--