I ran out of options, but for what it is worth.

The classes that execute the synchronize are:
smmInit.initFromServer called from class Application
smmInit.initFromClinet called by initFromServer
smmInit.initEMailEventHandler called from
initFromClient.

It is this method that checks for the outlook user.

But if you disabled the Configuration key and no
employee is enabled it should not be called.

regards,
Danny