Thanks, Alan -- very rich email that helps me think about
declarative-model-instance-handling.

Alan spaketh:
<snip,  "What is QML declarative-best-practice for models?">

> Reusable components/delegates, where data propagates in one direction, is
> the
> best-practices pattern that obviates this need. <snip>,

> For list delegates, this is managed through the model. Individual delegates
> should only depend on the model for state and interaction. If that's not
> enough you probably need a custom view, because views are supposed to
> handle
> the majority of the UI logic of the data.[1]

<snip>,

> [1] A future research topic that I'm keen on, one of these days, is to
> better
> componetize the Model/View split. QML has very simplified models, but the
> are immense and in some ways restrictive. Sometime people just use a
> Repeater/Column/Flickable for flexibility, but that's not viable for large
> data
> sets. There's clearly a better split which would allow for more of the
> View to
> be written in QML, like the UI logic, while not forcing such large
> tradeoffs.
> After the successful completion of that research project, suggesting that
> you
> create your own view would just mean another QML file in your project.

I'm very interested in that future-research-topic (we can discuss offline
in the future when you have time), IMHO some work here is needed.

For example, consider a large/rich model of a "file-system" where you want
rich view(s) of *all* dirs-and-files.  Example visualizers might be like:

http://lifehacker.com/219058/geek-to-live--visualize-your-hard-drive-usage

The dynamic/animated nature of QML seems like a QML implementation
(with-or-without-C++) could be gorgeous/rich/useful.

If your efforts provided specific insight and guidance to applications like
that, it would be ever-so-super-spiffy!

;-)

--charley