Hi,

sitting in front of my keyboard after midnight and being in the mood
of killing some time with brain-dead typing, I came up with this:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,50652 patch. During my
recent first adventures as a Qt 'contributor' I learned that fixing
white space problems 'on the side' is actively prohibited.

So to fix whitespace (according to
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Coding_Style) one has to come up with
whitespace-only patches. I have a couple of questions regarding those:

1. Is something like the above patch welcome at all?
2. Who would be interested/responsible for reviewing such boring patches?
3. How to best split up patches from that category? e.g. fixing all
"if(...){" -> "if (...) {" occurrences in qtbase would be a rather
large patch (I have it half done)
  a) split that up based on "manageable" subdirectories?
  b) only do it in files where it is used inconsistently / where the
wrong occurrences are the minority?
  c) provide some random script code that one could run over the diff
to check that all hunks are only of a specific type?
  d) don't do that all?
4. Given that such whitespace-only patches don't change the semantic
of the code, is pushing to stable the correct approach? (I read that
one is supposed to pick the 'most stable branch that is still
applicable' because 'up-merging' is easy but backporting is evil.)

Thanks for any relevant feedback,
 - Axel