On 17 Jan 2014, at 10:01, Peter Hartmann <phartm...@blackberry.com> wrote:

> On 01/17/2014 08:54 AM, Knoll Lars wrote:
>> From a feature point of view it would fit best into Qt Network. But
>> it's a sizeable piece of code added to Qt Network. Do you have any
>> numbers on how this changes the size of Qt Network?
>>
>> Peter and Rich, and comments from your side?
>
> Size-wise I think it is ok; we could add QT_NO_WEBSOCKETS defines or so if
> somebody wants to exclude it. Also the API looks clean and very similar to
> our current socket APIs; IIRC Shane did some review already, I did not look
> into it closely.
>
> One thing I have been wondering about wrt web sockets is: Where are they
> actually used? I am not saying they are not, but I have never come across a
> big site (Facebook, Twitter etc.) that offered clients to use it. The only
> thing I have found is this rather outdated discussion, which mentions a few
> sites:
> http://www.quora.com/Which-sites-are-using-websockets-right-now

Well, EnginIo for instance is using it :-)
Besides that, there are more and more people using node.js with web sockets or
even socket.io for their applications (both Amazon EC2 and Azure are providing
node.js services).
Services like Pusher use it to deliver real-time notifications.
I think that QML could benefit also. The web sockets component opens up a
bi-directional way for communication with backend services.

> Again, I am not saying we don't want it; I just want to gain some more
> understanding on whether we want it directly in QtNetwork...
>
> Another thing: Kurt, would you be willing to maintain this part of the code?
> I probably will not be looking into it too much until it benefits my employer
> (i.e. if some BlackBerry app is using it).
I am certainly willing to maintain this. No problem.