Hi Thiago,

Basically I agree with your statements, but I do not think we can rely
on journald
at this time.

The first problem is of course systemd itself: Ubuntu is one of the
biggest distros out
there and we can not reasonably assume that to be running systemd
before 14.04 is
at the end of its life-cycle. Considering that this is a long term
support release that
will be a while. But even when systemd is in use journald might be disabled or
misconfigured -- as you already said yourself. I hope gnome and KDE
starting to depend
on systemd user sessions will get that sorted out soon, but at this
time those changes are
not yet deployed in distributions.

So I think being able to rely on logging to journald is still a long
time off. So what is
the fallback? Stderr again?

Adding Journald into the picture will also make retrieving warnings
from remote machines
a lot more difficult. Currently we rely on SSH and/or gdbserver to
retrieve all application
output on Unix systems. I am not sure at this time how that would work
if the application
starts sending output to the journal. So having a way to force stderr
in favor of system logs
would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tobias

PS: Creator not supporting getting logs from system logs on Unix systems
is not a bug, it is a feature nobody requested so far:-)