On 7 July 2014 15:10, Koehne Kai <kai.koe...@digia.com> wrote:
>> From: development-bounces+kai.koehne=digia....@qt-project.org
>> [...]
>> 1) Developers who face regressions (not just testers) are now in an awkward
>> position, and need to install an extra copy of Qt Creator (see
>> below)
>
> Right, that's the main drawback. We could maybe have a 'Show all' section in
> the settings dialog or so that would show/hide such patch level releases
> though ... will bring this up with the Release Team.

Thanks!

[...]
>> No. When running an installer (online or offline), Qt Creator is a compulsory
>> component (although Qt itself is non-compulsory). I remember someone
>> saying that Qt Creator is made compulsory because of interdependencies
>> between the Maintenance Tool and Qt Creator.
>>
>> What are these dependencies? I'm willing to have a go at reducing this
>> coupling, if I know where to look. I believe one of them is for the
>> installer to
>> register "auto-detected" kits. Instead of having the installer perform this
>> registration, would it make sense for it to simply add a "search path" to a
>> global Qt Creator config file, and let Qt Creator search for and register new
>> copies of Qt at startup?
>
> Registration of Qt versions, kits, and toolchains is indeed the primary
> problem. We call Qt Creator's sdktool.exe in the installation/deinstallation
> scripts of the Qt versions & the mingw toolchains .
>
>  I'm not sure doing too much (file system) magic on Qt Creator startup though
> is the right thing to do, since it will slow down every launch.

Perhaps Qt Creator could check to see if a path is already in its list
of registered versions/kits/tools, before scanning the physical
location?

> Alternatives that have been discussed in the past:
>
> 1. Move the sdktool.exe out of the Qt Creator package, into a separate one,
> and only make this one mandatory. That means though we'd need to ship
> separate Qt libraries for this tool only, effectively increasing the size of
> a 'default' installation.
>
> 2. Don't deregister/register toolchains and kits in the qt packages, but in
> separate virtual (i.e., hidden) packages that are only installed if both the
> resp. Qt version package and the Qt Creator package gets installed
> (AutoDependOn in IFW speak). This will only be a workaround though for new
> packages ... already released qt versions will still have a hard dependency
> on Qt Creator.
>
> 3. Accept the fact that, if people first install a Qt version / toolchain and
> _later on_ install Qt Creator, the toolchain & Qt version won't show up.
>

> I think both 1. and 2. are be feasible ... 3. might end up in more bug
> reports / annoyed users than the current 'forced' installation, so I'm
> personally not keen to implement this.

Agreed, #3 sounds like swapping one set of issues for another.

#1 makes a lot of sense; sdktool could be considered an inseparable
part of the MaintenanceTool.

I'm less familiar with #2 as I haven't implemented package managers
before; would this option increase the risk of repository corruption?
(Example: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTIFW-519)

Regards,
Sze-Howe