On Friday 03 June 2016 15:02:23 André Somers wrote:
> > Then we don't need to talk about how to format multi-line ifs at all,
> > because they do not exist anymore.
>
> Eh... So you move the same to a different method. How does that help?
> You'd basically get the same expression but then in a method of it's own?

You have more freedom to format the code in the method. You can use a multi-
line return statement, already an improvement over a multi-line if statement,
or you can use guard clauses, possibly interspersed with comments...

But the main advantage is that you replaced an ugly, unreadable construction
with a *name*. We humans like to name things. E.g. I don't like unnamed
lambdas. I think it's much preferable to assign a lambda to an auto variable
than to inline it into the expression, precisely because it drives people
crazy when they need to come up with a name (hi, Anton :). But that mental
effort expended by that one person (and their reviewers, hi Eddy) is saved for
everyone else (iff the name chosen is descriptive).

As Fowler argues in Refactoring, sometimes the Smell is so bad that you
Extract Method even if the result is longer _at the call site_ than the
original code was.

Thanks,
Marc

--