> On Nov 29, 2016, at 2:54 AM, Marco Piccolino <marco.a.piccol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We just had a little discussion about this on QtMob
> (http://slackin.qtmob.org) where everybody does iOS/Android, and most people
> do it on a macOS host.
> It looks like people tend to use the online installer.
> When it comes to the offline installers (which in our case are mainly used
> for checking out betas, it seems) an installer for each platform seems to be
> the preferred option.
> This said, it seems that the main concern for our mobile devs is actually the
> size of the Qt for iOS distribution per se and people would like to have the
> option to not install simulator builds.

I guarantee you we'll never do that while qmake remains the Qt build system.
But in Qt 5.9 when Qt is built as shared libraries for iOS, a lot of the excess
size should be moved out into external dSYM (debug symbol) files which can be
made an optional component in the online installer.

Also, 32-bit iOS is not long for this world, so we may be able to halve the
size within the next few years when Apple removes all  32-bit support (even for
applications) from iOS.

> Br,
> Marco Piccolino - QtMob community manager

Jake Petroules - jake.petrou...@qt.io
The Qt Company - Silicon Valley
Qbs build tool evangelist - qbs.io