> On 29 Aug 2017, at 10:44, Edward Welbourne <edward.welbou...@qt.io> wrote:
>
> Thiago:
>>> If you're going to communicate with a tiny MCU connected over a mesh
>>> network like 6LoWPAN/Thread, you won't be using TCP. Much less HTTP.
>
> and you'll want that MCU running something light-weight in C++, not a
> web-bloat thing.  So Qt is just the thing for the job.

A tiny MCU means an Atmel with a couple kilobytes of RAM.  Or maybe an ESP8266,
the canonical IOT device right now if you want to use TCP/IP (WiFi) (rather
than some lower-powered network like BLE, Zigbee, Z-Wave or LoRa); that has
oodles more power and memory, but still a few orders of magnitude less than you
need for Linux + Qt.

I ran into the RAM shortage while hacking on this firmware (trying to add a few
features):  https://github.com/radhoo/uradmonitor_kit1  It has enough memory to
allocate ONE TCP packet: a 600 byte global static, plus a few more global
variables, and reserve some space for the stack.  And yet it has a web server
for serving up either a human-readable page or JSON on demand, and it also
pushes data to a central server periodically.  I’d like to make it discoverable
via Bonjour but that might be pushing it.  After reading about CoAP I think it
would be a much better fit than HTTP for such a device, so I hope I find the
time to try.  But then again, browsers don’t have CoAP yet, so I wonder if
there could be a web client that uses JS to talk to it.  Having to build a
dedicated Qt client for it would be a step backwards in a way, but also nice
for a desktop widget or some such.

Qt for IoT is maybe primarily for devices that have graphically-rich screens.
But they can be clients reading data from truly-embedded sensors, and they
might also have data of their own to serve to other clients (consolidated
results, or just extra sensors that happen to be attached).

There are some PLCs powerful enough to run Linux, though, like these:
https://www.bachmann.info/en/products/controller-system/  Some industrial
applications can afford to use them, and so can the shipping industry, as I
learned a couple of years ago on a certain consulting gig… and so they can
afford to use Qt too, just for network comms, even though there is no GUI.