> On 31. Aug 2017, at 16:58, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macie...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, 31 August 2017 01:35:08 PDT René J. V. Bertin wrote:
>>> Source compatibility. Which is why it's unlikely we'll do it.
>>
>> Qt6 isn't going to break anything that builds against a sufficiently recent
>> Qt5 version?
>
> See the other email where I said that this changing this is likely to break
> code that is sufficiently old and hard to fix (usually because of its age).

Another good question to ask when introducing source incompatible changes, is
“how hard does it make supporting building with both Qt 5 and Qt 6 from the
same code base”.
We did that for Qt Creator for quite some while, and it makes the transition
process much smoother than
doing a big jump with no way back.
Not sure what kind of hacks could be done for that specific case (maybe adding
a funny custom QObjectTimer class for the Qt 5 build).

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin
eike.zil...@qt.io
http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi,
Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B