Thanks Allen, bookmarked it :)

On 09/13/2017 03:54 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
On Mittwoch, 13. September 2017 03:40:03 CEST Ed Leaver wrote:
/What??? /You mean there's actually a /reason/ people aren't knocking
the doors down over these things? =-O

A few months ago I was handed a C++ Coding Standard that deigned to
prohibit any further heap allocation after program initialization. It
was originally intended for a hard real-time system; I racked my feeble
mind trying to ascertain how it could possibly apply to our particular
project, and finally suggested -- much as yourself -- that if memory
allocation were felt to be a legitimate concern, there were hooks enough
described in man 5 proc to settle the issue one way or another.

Then tactfully suggested a more appropriate standard. Tactfully enough
that the suggestion was accepted.

I ran across TCMalloc in the process. It sounds Really Neat -- but it
wasn't clear why it's Really Neat properties hadn't already been
incorporated into the standard kernel allocator.  Is why I asked.

See
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=glibc-malloc-thread-cache