On 2017-12-19 16:18, Thiago Macieira wrote:
On terça-feira, 19 de dezembro de 2017 03:25:17 PST Sergio Martins wrote:
Furthermore, supporting both android and android-clang is a maintenance burden: the mkspecs are often broken, either because of a new Qt version or because of a new NDK version. Then you have to test not only gcc and
clang, but also test builds with the older NDKs.
So we should also bump the NDK.

I'm not familiar with Android development and the difficulty in maintaining android-clang. But seeing as we're already doing that anyway, it should be less work to change to Clang. I'm all for upgraing compilers, so a +0.5 for
me.

However, please answer this: what kind of compatibility do we need and for how
long do we need to provide it?

That's a good question (maybe for TQC and Bogdan). Probably only source-compatibility.

From what I've seen, people recompile their app and bundle Qt with it, there's no Binary Compat concern.

Some people use a service called Ministro, which installs Qt on their phone system-wide. They can get updates for Qt patch releases without rebuilding their application.

Regards,
--
Sérgio Martins | sergio.mart...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)