On 28.01.19 14:37, Jedrzej Nowacki wrote:

>> disadvantages:
>> - most developers don't know how to handle the propagation failures
>> -- I already moved on and am working on something else, do you want me
>> to switch to '5.19' to fix a change I did in '5.12' ? oh, and it failed
>> in '5.18' as well? why don't you do merges instead and leave alone?
>> [true story :-)]
>> - change can pass the CI and found to be problematic later on
>> -- oh, I need to fix my change in 5 branches now? [Gerrit 2.14 has a
>> cherry-pick button in the UI now, so this is not a problem with that
>> version]
>> - automated cherry-pick process/bot/script has to be maintained
>> -- one change not merged might lead to lots of changes to fail with
>> merge conflicts, staying open in gerrit forever
>> -- hey, can you add intelligence to the bot so it know how to merge the
>> open changes once the dependency is merged?
>> -- hey, can you add intelligence to the bot so it can cherry-pick them
>> in the right order?)
>> - yes, git-cherry-pick does weird things. I have seen it cherry-picking
>> the same change twice without problems (same line twice in the file, I
>> think I was an include guard that compiled but behaved weirdly, or similar)
>>
>> my 2€
>
> Thank you for the story, do I get it correctly that the most of problems are
> social and global flakiness of the system?
>
> Cheers,
>   Jędrek

Yes, the system works pretty nice as long as all changes are being
merged .. as soon as one change does not get merged (and it is a
dependency for other changes) then they start to pile up and somebody
has to manually work on them anyways .. usually the Release Manager ..

but as said, it works around 80% of the time without issues (other than
people with different opinions on how it 'would work better for my
particular workflow' and writing customized scripts to keep 'staging'
the change without looking at the failures ...)

--
Sergio Ahumada
sahum...@texla.cl