> On 27. May 2019, at 12:49, Lars Knoll <lars.kn...@qt.io> wrote:
>
>> On 27 May 2019, at 11:37, Giuseppe D'Angelo <giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Il 27/05/19 10:24, Simon Hausmann ha scritto:
>>> Hi,
>>> I’m very much in favor of having QList be an alias for QVector and try it
>>> out, in qt5, with creator and KDE.
>>
>> Could someone please summarize where we are inside this thread? Now I'm
>> completely lost…
>
> My summary would be as follows:
>
> * We rename QList to QArrayList
>       * We can still discuss whether it should rather be Qt5::QList
> * QStringList and QBAList will be implemented using QVector
> * QList becomes an alias to QVector in wip/qt6 (for now at least)
> * We delay the decision on what QList will be in Qt 6 for a little while
> * QVector for Qt 6 will most likely be updated with the changes Thiago has
> waiting since quite some years

What is the summary for these?

> * To be able to reach a decision:
>       * we test some Qt libs and apps with QList being an alias to QVector
>       * We know that the only source incompatibility is the stability of
> references

At least the following are source incompatibilities currently (though easily
noticeable because they generate compile errors):

- QVector doesn’t have to/fromSet, to/fromStdList or (obviously) to/fromVector
- QVector requires the value type to be default constructible

>       * If it turns out that most of Qt and (maybe also KDE) run without
> problems with QList = QVector, we should IMO go down that route.
>       * The reason is that aliasing those classes will resolve many other
> problems we could otherwise run into
>
> Cheers,
> Lars

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin
eike.zil...@qt.io
http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi,
Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
144331 B