From: Development <development-boun...@qt-project.org> On Behalf Of Ville
Voutilainen
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 12:08 AM
To: Lars Knoll <lars.kn...@qt.io>
Subject: Re: [Development] qsizetype and classes working with QStrings or QList

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 09:39, Lars Knoll <lars.kn...@qt.io> wrote:
> > QtGui:
> > * QTextCursor
> > * QTextDocument (find offset, character{At,Count})
> > * QTextLayout
> > * QValidator and subclasses (validate offset)
>
> These here are questionable. Editing a text file with more than 2G
> characters? Sounds unlikely.

Disagree here.  There is good reason many in my industry (Electronic design
automation) use the Scintilla editor widget inside Qt apps.  Specifically to
handle extremely large, in both line count and column count, files.

Many of the text files we work with, are generated library definitions for
silicon definitions.  A 5+ gb file is not uncommon.  Or files with a truth
table definition with 5000-1000 columns.  I kid you not.

Its one thing to not handle it, and say "too big to open" its another to
attempt to and crash because the internal integers cant handle it.

Scintilla handles these massive files relatively easily.

Scott