Every conversation ends up in what is already the C++ subject of the year :D

I've been vocally critical of what has happened, same as everybody else, even though I'm a mere passive observer, for now...

But lemme say some things:

I agree with Jason: Doing the "no LTS for FOSS" at the moment of the 5.15->6.0 change was really a foul play, imho.

Everybody knew 6.0 was a subset of Qt, and that 6.x would be that way for a long while... It happened at the most harmful time, really... If it was on 6.2 and I had to move to 6.3 instead of 6.2.3, fine, I prefer to do that anyway... Now 5.15.2 or... Nothing viable, really...

Other thing I noticed was this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/QTCOM.HE/key-statistics?p=QTCOM.HE

Over 300% year-over-year change. Whatever the Qt company is doing, it's resonating with its investors. And don't be fooled. A for profit company serves to generate revenue. Any product or service it sells is the means to achieve that revenue. This is what drives decisions. Not a bunch of angry programmers.

No official FOSS edition offline installers, no FOSS LTS binaries (and no source for 12 months), mandatory registration, are all aspects that don't particularly drive community contributions. I might be wrong... There's also the aspect if its in the interest of TQtC to have those contributions...  I mean, Qt has some commercial-only offerings, and embeded/auto seem to be the driver of the company right now... The income from buyers of the automotive suite maybe are worth the man-hours of hypothetical FOSS contributors? I wouldn't know, but that does cross my mind.

Honestly, and this is repeating myself, I look at other ecosystems like C# and I see webasm and desktop having renewed interest and new and interesting tech stacks... Even on the C++ world, we now have things like DearImGui... Of course the later is not for any half-reasonable desktop application (imho) but still...

It's so weird the situation around this library, its technology and what it stands to do...

We'll probably circle around this discussion again and again during times to come, so I'm just leaving my 2 cents.

Let's code.
Rui