On 9/14/21 5:45 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 08:37:55 PDT Joerg Bornemann wrote:
Only moc should link to the Bootstrap lib. Period.

Well, I guess rcc could also use some good pinch of bootstrapping.
And tracegen for that matter.

Well, tracegen might, since it's used in QtCore. I forgot about it.

rcc isn't used for QtCore any more.

Good point. Let's unbootstrap it: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/370954

I have a hunch we're talking about different things here. A moc-only, or
even a qtbase-only build won't get you far when trying to cross-compile
qtdeclarative or such.

Ok, so to clarify:

All builds should bootstrap only the tools that are needed to compile QtCore.
The other tools should link to QtCore, not to the bootstrap lib.

Yes.

A cross-compiling build needs to use a host tool set, for all tools, because
all tools it builds are for the target and therefore can't be run in the host
system.

Yes.

Unless QT_BUILD_TOOLS_WHEN_CROSSCOMPILING is ON which is used in yocto context.

Joerg